Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Knuth and Turing

Most of the Software Engineers don't know who is Donald Knuth and Turing. Oh ... God, have pity on them.

Last week on 10-Jan-08, I thought of writing an article about D.E.Knuth, who is one of my guru. Don't ask me whether I have read and understood any of his books, I was able to completely able to read and understand any of his books.

D.E.Knuth is one of the greatest Computer Scientist alive. He is the famous author of the famous book "The Art of Computer Programming". One of my life-time goal is to read his books and understand what is in it.

He is called as the father of "Algorithm Analysis". In 1971, Knuth was the recipient of the first ACM Grace Murray Hopper Award. He has received various other awards including the Turing Award, the National Medal of Science, the John von Neumann Medal and the Kyoto Prize(noble prize in Japan).

-- I will write about Alan Turing on some other day.

1 comment:

Cogito Ergo Sum said...

Reemus,

I have one book called "The Essential Turing",which mostly contains seminal writings in computing, logic, philosophy,AI and Artificial Life plus the secrets of Enigma.

A brief history of Turing as well. These writings are belong to early era of computers, say 1930-1950s. I am yet to go through this book.